Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Shots and Lollipops

Today, Josh had a well baby checkup and Zack had a flu shot. While driving to the Dr.'s office, I told Zack that both he and Josh had to get shots. He of course didn't want one and was sad that Josh had to get 3 shots. So in a ploy to bargain with him, I told him that after his shot was done, he'd get a lollipop, maybe even 2 if Dr. Clark would let him.

So once we got there, he continued to deny it, but I could tell he was trying to convince himself that having a lollipop, maybe 2, would make up for the "5 minutes" of hurt!

Joshua went through his well baby check and once we were done with that, we decided that Zack should have shots first since Josh would need me to hold and snuggle him and I wouldn't be able to do that if I was consoling Zack too.

Dr. Clark left the room, and we got Zack ready. He was sitting on my lap with his little thigh bare and ready for his shot. Dr. Clark came back in, put the little alcohol pad on Zack's leg, told Zack to look at me and with only a little wince later, it was done! No screaming. No crying. No kicking or fit throwing. It was amazing!

Zack looked at me, I looked at him. He started to grin and I told him to give me a high 5, that he'd done so well. He turned to me and said, "Mommy, I get a lollipop? Maybe 2?" Dr. Clark said, "Yes!" He deserved 2 lollipops. Out came the basket of lollipops and he had no trouble choosing 2. And within 30 seconds, the first one was gone!

That's my boy.

No comments: