Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Kindness of Friends

People are often really caught up in their own stuff. Kids, husbands, schedules, business deals, what's for dinner, laundry...the list can go on and on.

Honestly, I'm most often one of those people. Caught up in my own to-do list. Too busy to help, too busy to put aside my stuff.

Tonight, I was blessed by friends.

I'm really not feeling well. Head cold, sore throat, ear pressure, sneezing, watery eyes. You know, a really bad head cold. But Mommies don't get to stop. We don't get to rest. There are still Dr. well child checks, valentine's to buy, rewards for a boy who endured 3 shots, school drop offs...insert your to-do list here.

While I sat in my car with my 3 year old asleep in the back seat I got a text from this girlfriend It went something like this:

U ok? I haven't heard from you in a while and I was worried.

I sat in the front seat and was reminded of what it means to be a friend. She has her own list of stuff. Two kids, a business, a husband, parents, dinner plans, baking (lots and lots of baking) not to mention a a jack russell terrier. She didn't have to check in on me. But she did...and her text came at a really low point.

It wasn't but a little bit later, I get another text:

Would espresso chocolate chunk cookies help at all?

She was so speaking my language.

Then this:

I also have about a gallon of chicken tortilla soup without tortillas, Barefoot Contessa's recipe.

An hour later, this:

Mr. Smith heading over with your goodies!

My dinner, brought to me by friends. When I was sick and caring for my 3 kids and not really caring for myself. Thank you friends, for reminding me what real friendship is. Stopping for just a little bit and forgetting about your "stuff" to help someone else with theirs.

1 comment:

vertigob said...

You are the sweetest person. I don't know how many times you have saved my bacon!

You are so very very welcome. It was the least we could do for you!