Tuesday, November 10, 2009

White Bean Chicken Chili


I've been loving the cooler CA weather (except for today of course...it was 85 degrees!) and when it's cooler, my cooking turns to soups, stews and chili. I found this wonderful recipe for white bean chicken chili. I must admit I borrowed it from this gal's blog who adapted it from Paula Deen's recipe on Food Network.
Now, she used cans of beans and cooked it on the stove, I used dried beans and my crock pot. You can adapt this recipe to fit your family's needs. Any way it's made, I'm sure it's amazing. Here was my recipe.

3 chicken breasts cooked in a pan with olive oil and 1 medium onion diced.
1 bag of "small white beans" rinsed and cooked in a pan filled with water that "just covers" the beans
(I cooked the beans while I was cooking the chicken)

In the crockpot, I put:
4 cans of chicken stock
1 tsp orgagno
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
3 mild jalapenos sliced thinly

Once the chicken is browned and the onions are a nice brown color too, I placed them in the crockpot and took some of the chicken broth from the crockpot and placed it back in the hot chicken pan to deglaze it. I poured that back in the crockpot and then poured the beans (broth and all) in the crockpot too. I set the temperature on high and let it cook all afternoon. About 3 hours later, the chicken was done and I took it out and shredded it. Put it back in the crockpot and then took a potato masher to the beans to thicken the chili. Cooked it for about 30 minutes more.

I made rice to go with it because my kids aren't big bean eaters and tonight I didn't want to fight. I served the chicken and broth over the rice for the kids. They lapped it up!

So, if your weather is cool (or if you've got your air conditioning on like I did today) cook this up for a good comforting meal. It makes a ton and will freeze well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful. Your wallpaper is also very cheerful. Dad did up new dish for the college kids.
canned potatoes &with fresh herbs like, rosemary, basil,garlic, olive oil and then added mint and italian bread crumbs on top. The students really liked it. (canned potatoes saved us time in preparation).