Friday, April 10, 2009

30 minute Potato Soup

With the sickies around here, I struggle with how to make dinner. Everyone needs my attention, all at the same time, including dinner. 30 minutes is about all I have at the moment to get dinner from the stove to the table!
I"m so thankful my mom taught me how to cook. Not just how to pull out a blue box of macaroni and cheese but really cook.
Tonight I made potato soup. Hardy yet soft on the tummy and warm on the throat. So easy and you can make it as vegetable friendly as you want. Tonight, I just made it the "old fashioned" way. But I've made it loaded with vegetables too. Just as yummy.

1/2 stick of butter
1 small onion
2 stalks of celery.

Saute these up. While it's simmering away, pull out your potatoes. I used 5 small ones because it was just me and the kids.

Peel and cut up your potatoes into small pieces and throw them into the pot with the butter, onion, and celery. Saute this for about 5-6 minutes. The potatoes should start to get a little soft. At this point, I added probably 1 cup of water and let this simmer again for 5-6 minutes. Now, take your potato masher and mash this all up. Not as smooth as mashed potatoes but enough to see small pieces of potato. Now, take some milk (i like to use 1/2 and 1/2) but if you don't have any, you can use whole milk or even 2%. Obviously, the more fat, the creamier! Pour it over the potatoes, enough to cover it nicely.

Let this simmer again for maybe 5-6 minutes. You should start to see it thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve!

You can add some shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and chives to make it more adult friendly! Remember, this recipe serves maybe 3 adults. I served 3 kids and 1 adult (i had 3 bowls...ok, I admit it!) and there wasn't a spoonful left in the pot.

No comments: